- Guardian: DC United and Sunderland announce MLS-Premier League partnership
- I’m reposting the link to the article below as the 2014-15 version of the CONCACAF Champions League is set to kick off
- Ives Galarcep: Taking stock after latest the CCL failure
On the Pitch
- World Soccer Talk: Why Tiki-Taka Isn’t Dead; It’s Just Sleeping
- World Soccer Talk: The End of the Winger and the Rise of the 3-5-2
- Shin Guardian: A Treatise: The State of American Youth Soccer
- Independent: Scientist warns heading footballs ‘not safe for children’
- WV Hooligan: The College Soccer Landscape is About to Change
- Independent Shakhtar Donetsk midfielder Douglas Costa reveals players have not returned to Ukraine because ‘their lives are at risk’ due to ongoing conflict
- Earl Reed: After Great Gains During World Cup, Hard Part Begins Again For American Soccer Fans
- Rob Hughes: The Loss of Brazil’s Soccer-Playing Soul
- Rob Hughes: Facts of Life in Soccer: Sports, Politics and Money Mingle
- Guardian: Richard Scudamore: FA’s ‘B’ teams would damage Football League pyramid
- Guardian: There’s no moral or financial sense to football – but it isn’t half exciting
The Dark Side
- Guardian: Football players who botched match-fixing result told it was ‘life and death’
- Independent: International match-fixing allegations point to referees and assistants
- Guardian: San Lorenzo win Copa Libertadores
- SI.com: D.C. United gets a breakthrough in quest for new stadium
- Jonah Freedman: Remember “MLS 2.0″? This is a crucial period for the next upgrade
- Tony Edwards: Designated Player Strategy in MLS
- WV Hooligan: NASL Expanding, What It All Means
- J Hutcherson: Professional Soccer Coverage and the Learning Curve
- World Soccer Talk: Is The Number 10 Role A Dying Breed in Soccer?
- ESPN FC: PSG, winners of Ligue 1 by 12 points, receive suspended deduction
- Gold Cup: USA v Panama set for Gold Cup Final
- Copa Libertadores: Ronaldinho, Atletico Mineiro win Copa Libertadores
- Soccer by Ives: Cascadia Cup Council and MLS reach trademark agreement
- World Soccer Talk: Can the MLS-USL PRO Partnership Help Fix the Continued Decline of US Youth Development?
- The Philly Soccer Page: Philadelphia Union and life as a small market team
- Guardian: Why don’t we all lighten up and stop taking football so seriously?
- WorldSoccerTalk: Premier League vs Bundesliga: Comparison of Ticket Prices [INFOGRAPHIC]
- WorldSoccerTalk: Why Borussia Dortmund Are The Model Club For Europe and Beyond
- Guardian: The world’s biggest, emptiest stadiums and more
- Kartik Krishnaiyer: Confederations Cup Shows How Media Overreacts Rather Than Follows International Soccer
- Soccer Without Limits: Can a Price Tag Destroy a Player’s Ability?
- NY Times: Spending Their Way Out of La Liga
- WorldSoccerTalk: Tottenham’s Brad Friedel Has the Vision For How to Make the USA a World Soccer Power
The Dark Side
Unless you’ve been hiding under a rock, you know by now that Manchester City of the EPL and the New York Yankees of MLS have partnered up to be the 20th franchise in MLS.
I’m not going to link to any of the gazillion stories that have flooded the soccersphere, just do a search and you’ll find all you want to know, and more.
I will, however, give you my two cents on this announcement. It’s good. Having grown up in the New York metro area, I can say that the Red Bulls are a New Jersey team. Period.
Money is the driving force in a league that still has too many teams that struggle to achieve financial stability. Television is the cash cow that the league has yet to milk and another team in the #1 media market with owners of deep pockets is the smart way to go. I have written several articles over the years about the need for MLS to tap national TV revenues more deeply in order to achieve the level they aspire to and this is the best way to try and gain appreciable levels of TV rights fees increases when all of the contracts expire in 2014.
That’s it from me. Writers like Grant Wahl, Steve Davis, Drew Epperly and others have written some good pieces on the expansion. I’d advise you to peruse them if you want more opinions. And for a good laugh, read the comments or the twitter stream of #MLS for the usual moronic postings from the ignorant mob.
- Through 6 games Sporting KC have yet to yield a 2nd half goal
- Through 4 games New England have yet to yield a 1st half goal
- Through 6 games Dallas has conceded 7 goals, all in the 2nd half and 6 in the final 15 minutes
- Hot Time in Old Town: Scoring Goals in MLS Part 1: The “true goal scorer”
- Bill Archer: Field of Schemes
- Jason Davis: Once Again, it’s MLS in the Champions League – I’ve read a bunch of the post mortem pieces after the last two MLS teams fell out of the CCL. This one works for me.
- Grant Wahl: Six reasons why the Red Bulls are MLS’ most intriguing story
- Jason Davis: Increasing the Pressure in Major League Soccer
- Avi Creditor: In ever-changing MLS landscape, the RSL way remains constant
- Soccer Newsday: Has the Market Called Time on Chivas USA?
- Devin Pleuler: Possession trends and what they say about Major League Soccer
- Tom Dunmore: A Bohemian Footprint: Supporting American Soccer Nationwide
- Footiebusiness: What American Soccer Can Learn from Japan – an older post, but worth a read.
- Barney Ronay: It takes all sorts to be a football journalist – so now we’re all at it
- Free Beer Movement: Taking the Longer View of MLS, the National Teams, and American Soccer
- Guardian: England risk falling to third in Uefa coefficient rankings
- Best Eleven: FIFA Confederation Ranking Comparison – March 2013
The Business of Soccer
The Dark Side
- Associated Press: Egyptian soccer federation torched
- Jonathan Wilson: The Question: is the away-goals rule counterproductive?
- Guardian: Champions League: how has dominance changed hands between Europe’s top leagues?
- UEFA Champions League: UCL round of 16 concludes
- Europa League: Europa League Update
- CONCACAF Champions League: CCL semifinals set
- Will Parchman: A statistical look at MLS Week 1
- MLSSoccer.com: MLS announces partnership with French Football Federation
- Kyle McCarthy: Buying or selling? MLS seeks the best of both worlds
- SI.com: MLS fills spring training void left by MLB teams in Tucson
- Earl Reed: The Designated Player Rule: How Is It Working?
- Steve Goff: Major League Soccer’s second generation
- Matthew Doyle: Why we often miss the point when we talk formations
- Alex Labidou: Five observations from MLS Commissioner Don Garber’s press conference
- Tropics of Meta: An MLS Moment: What the Chivas USA Controversy Tells US About the State of US Soccer
Recent stories I don’t link to because I’d only be adding churn to a widely covered topic
- Robbie Rogers declares his sexuality and leaves futbol
- Anything about Landon Donovan
- FC Dallas: The FC Dallas Way: Affiliate Program – Last week I linked to a story of LA’s youth program. Here’s a look at the very successful program in Dallas.
- Dave Laidig: Money & Performance in MLS – Part 1 – Part 2 – Part 3
- WV Hooligan: Get your 2013 MLS team previews here.
- Matthew Doyle: Opta Chalkboards a new MLS feature
- Central Winger: More to possession stats than meets eye
- Kitsap Sun: Tucson turning into MLS’s Cactus League site
- L.E. Eisenmenger: MLS and diversity in media
- WV Hooligan: The Mess Of Discovery Claims
Interesting Reads(or Views)
Read the rest of this entry »