- Kartik Krishnaiyer: MLS Going Against Its Own Principles In Rush to Launch NYCFC
- Matthew Doyle: How Real Salt Lake continue to think their way to the top
- Ives Galarcep: Taking stock after latest the CCL failure
- MLSSoccer.com: MLS teams must plan for CONCACAF Champions League success by starting at home
- MLSSoccer.com: Changes to Canadian Championship mean different stakes for CONCACAF Champions League
Once again, it’s been a while since I’ve posted. Here are links to stories that still have relevance(IMO). Some are old, some not so old.
With MLS season approaching, I plan on being more active. I’m thinking the focus will shift away from regular attendance reports to the next great hurdle for the league, higher TV ratings and revenues. That’s certainly the pathway to raising the quality level of play. A big year, with national TV contracts up for renewal and a new CBA on the horizon.
Hope you enjoy.
- Luis Bueno: Chivas USA and MLS identity
- Philly Soccer Page: The changing transfer marketplace for MLS
- Brian Straus: MLS contemplating playoff format tweak: Give higher seed choice of home leg
- Jason Davis: Why MLS keeps expanding
- J Hutcherson: MLS expansion and the importance of the footprint
- MLSSoccer: How big of an impact did the 2013 rookie class have on MLS? A look inside the numbers
- On the Fire: Brazil 2014: Who will be missing from MLS and for how long?
- SI.com: Galaxy launch full USL Pro team: LA Galaxy II
- FutFanatico: Soccer Spanish Revisited: Bridging the Iberian Divide
- 3FOUR3: The 1 Soccer Policy that Cripples the National Team all the way to 9 Year Olds
- Rob Hughes: Barcelona Is Winning on the Field but Suffering Off It
- Guardian: Does analysing football through statistics miss the point of the game?
- Guardian: In defence of football statistics: the drama is in the data
- FutFanatico: Tactics Talk: Roster and Roles in the 4-2-2-2
- Chirstopher Harris: Manchester City Facing New Threat of European Expulsion
- Guardian: Practising perfection by 10,000 touches
- World Soccer Talk: Richard Scudamore Confirms Plans for a Premier League ‘B’ League
- Independent: New concern for Fifa ahead of World Cup 2022 after anti-Zionist row in Qatar
- ESPNFC: Racing Santander banned from 2014-15 Copa
- Bill Archer: White Sands, Soft Breezes and Cosmos Confusion
- Clemente Lisi: Soccer’s Super Bowl, the Champions League by the numbers
The Business of Soccer
- Guardian: Is fan ownership the answer to struggling football clubs?
- Owen Gibson: Manchester United’s share price mirrors form under David Moyes
- SI.com: Chivas USA sued for alleged discrimination
- J Hutcherson: MLS and the Next Rounds of Expansion
- Paul Kennedy: MLS wants all its clubs either fielding reserve teams in USL PRO or affiliating with one by 2015
- Avi Creditor: Dempsey deal calls MLS transparency into question — again
- Christian Science Monitor: Once a ‘league of stars,’ Spanish pro soccer crashes down to earth
- ESPN FC: UEFA continue FFP crackdown
- Independent: Idealists v ‘the monetisers’ – a struggle for football’s soul
- Barney Ronay: Kieron Dyer: a wasted talent and poster boy for English game’s excesses
The Business of Soccer
- Owen Gibson: Real Madrid are €590m in debt so how do they get round Uefa finance rules?
- Premiership Talk: Wenger calls FFP a joke
- US Open Cup: US Open Cup Semifinals
- UEFA Champions League: UCL prelims begin
- Europa League: Europa League Begins
- Copa Sudamericana: Copa Sudamericana underway
- Soccer by Ives: Cascadia Cup Council and MLS reach trademark agreement
- World Soccer Talk: Can the MLS-USL PRO Partnership Help Fix the Continued Decline of US Youth Development?
- The Philly Soccer Page: Philadelphia Union and life as a small market team
- Guardian: Why don’t we all lighten up and stop taking football so seriously?
- WorldSoccerTalk: Premier League vs Bundesliga: Comparison of Ticket Prices [INFOGRAPHIC]
- WorldSoccerTalk: Why Borussia Dortmund Are The Model Club For Europe and Beyond
- Guardian: The world’s biggest, emptiest stadiums and more
- Kartik Krishnaiyer: Confederations Cup Shows How Media Overreacts Rather Than Follows International Soccer
- Soccer Without Limits: Can a Price Tag Destroy a Player’s Ability?
- NY Times: Spending Their Way Out of La Liga
- WorldSoccerTalk: Tottenham’s Brad Friedel Has the Vision For How to Make the USA a World Soccer Power
The Dark Side
- Will Parchman: A statistical look at MLS Week 1
- MLSSoccer.com: MLS announces partnership with French Football Federation
- Kyle McCarthy: Buying or selling? MLS seeks the best of both worlds
- SI.com: MLS fills spring training void left by MLB teams in Tucson
- Earl Reed: The Designated Player Rule: How Is It Working?
- Steve Goff: Major League Soccer’s second generation
- Matthew Doyle: Why we often miss the point when we talk formations
- Alex Labidou: Five observations from MLS Commissioner Don Garber’s press conference
- Tropics of Meta: An MLS Moment: What the Chivas USA Controversy Tells US About the State of US Soccer
- MLSSoccer.com: Dell Loy Hansen acquires full ownership of Real Salt Lake
- The False Nine: The growth of MLS: a myth or a legacy?
- J Hutcherson: Major League Soccer’s January Economy
- L.E. Eisenmenger: MLS draft order defies MLS player development
- Brian Straus: MLS, USL partnership integral to rise of pro game
- Soccer Newsday: New Directions for NASL, USL PRO & NPSL
- Jeff Carlisle: Pathways to the pros
- BBC News: Is satellite TV killing African football?
The Dark Side
- Washington Post: At least 30 killed in Egyptian clashes after soccer verdict
- Gavin Day: CSA severs ties with 3rd division over match-fixing
- SoccerLens: La Liga: The spectre of match fixing looms
The Business of Soccer
- BBC Business: Premier League sells Middle East and Africa TV rights – Note that MP & Silva currently holds international rights to MLS
- ESPN FC: New ‘financial fair play’ rules for Spain
Message from Peter
Sorry if some of these are a tad dated. Computer committed suicide and I’m just getting back up and running.
Did You Know?
After going unbeaten last season, Juventus ran its unbeaten streak to 49 before losing to Inter.
- WV Hooligan: MLS International Recap
- Noah Davis: Is MLS Making the Rest of CONCACAF Better at the Expense of the U.S. National Team?
- Reserve League: Houston Dynamo and LA win MLS Reserve League division titles
- Jonah Freedman: MLS, NASL closer to working partnership
- Expansion: Merritt Paulson Forecasts Increase in MLS Soccer Franchise Fees
- J Hutcherson: Canada’s WC exit is an MLS problem
- TheStar.com: Toronto FC’s hands tied by meddling MLS
- MLS Talk: Will MLS Benefit From NBC’s Premier League Deal?
- Devin Pleuler: Pythagorean Expectation tested in MLS
- US Soccer Players: MLS and the Play-In Round
- Will Parchman: The MLS Cup favorites
- Jason Davis: The 2013 approach
- J Hutcherson: What We Expect from Major League Soccer
- Steve Goff: D.C. United is succeeding on field, but struggling at box office. A look at attendance at RFK Stadium and around MLS this year and through history…..
- CBC Sports: TFC targeted by bumbling match fixers in 2009
- BBC News: Roshan Afghan Premier League a hit with fans
- ESPN FC: How video game is changing face of soccer
- SI.com: Santos beats U. de Chile 2-0 to win Recopa title
The Business of Soccer
- Yahoo Sports: Spanish economist says La Liga could ‘kill itself’ within five years, suggests Iberian league
- Louise Taylor: EPL clubs in talks about restricting players’ wages
- Graham Ruthven: Are Financial Fair Play Rules Destined to Be Broken?
Of Special Note
- Top Drawer Soccer: Tracking MLS Home Growns in 2012 – I have Top Drawer Soccer in my Blogroll, you should have the site bookmarked if you follow MLS player development.
- Timbers: Portland Reserves in front of record crowd at JELD-WEN Field – Over 14,000!
- Boston Globe: MLS tries to build through Euro club visits
- Martin Rogers: Former phenom Freddy Adu running out of options
Read the rest of this entry »
- Shin Guardian: Interpreting Di Vaio’s Words On MLS
- Will Parchman: Top 5 MLS pleasant surprises
- Ridge Mahoney: New setting but Adu story is the same
- The Header: Identity Politics Shape Middle Eastern Soccer
- Zac Lee Rigg: For the Milan clubs, the grass isn’t always greener at the San Siro
- Independent: “The Football Crash”: Are footballers the bankers of modern sport?
- AP: La Liga, Serie A Vanish for Many US Viewers
- UEFA Champions League: UCL preliminaries continue
- CONCACAF Champions League: CCL Group Stage Day 2
- CAF Champions League: CAF CL Update
- Copa Sudamericana: Copa Sudamericana Update