- Kartik Krishnaiyer: MLS Going Against Its Own Principles In Rush to Launch NYCFC
- Matthew Doyle: How Real Salt Lake continue to think their way to the top
- Ives Galarcep: Taking stock after latest the CCL failure
- MLSSoccer.com: MLS teams must plan for CONCACAF Champions League success by starting at home
- MLSSoccer.com: Changes to Canadian Championship mean different stakes for CONCACAF Champions League
The Week 23 numbers look like this…
|5 year comparison|
|Week 23||210 GP||YTD|
|2009 225 Game Season – 2010 240 Game Season
2011 306 Game Season – 2012-13 323 Game Season
|YTD – 210 Games|
Here are the home attendance comparisons to 2012:
- RSL: The Big Debate: RSL v. LA roster development
- Shin Guardian: MLS: You Go Sit Down The Other End Of The Table…
- NY Times: Let Them Eat Soccer
- Independent: Mr Blatter, the party’s over
- Barney Ronay: Spain and Brazil: two contrasting routes to footballing beauty
- Guardian: You don’t need to have played football at the highest level to understand it
- Counter Attack: The State of Analytics: Shot Analysis—the bridge between analytics and football tactics?
- Medical News Today: Soccer Headers Can Lead to Brain Injury
- Wright Thompson: When The Beautiful Game Turns Ugly
- Soccer Without Limits: The Rise of FC Porto and the Perfect Transfer Stratagem
- Georgina Turner: In EPL, big transfers mean small minutes for academy players
- ESPN: Best-paying teams in the world
- US Open Cup: How U.S. Soccer has failed the Open Cup and how USSF can improve it
- Matthew Doyle: The evolution of the playmaker, Part 1 – Part 2 – Part 3
The Dark Side
- SI.com: Serie B’s Bari, 33 people face match-fixing trial in Italy
- Fox Soccer: UEFA punishes Fenerbahce, Besiktas
Unless you’ve been hiding under a rock, you know by now that Manchester City of the EPL and the New York Yankees of MLS have partnered up to be the 20th franchise in MLS.
I’m not going to link to any of the gazillion stories that have flooded the soccersphere, just do a search and you’ll find all you want to know, and more.
I will, however, give you my two cents on this announcement. It’s good. Having grown up in the New York metro area, I can say that the Red Bulls are a New Jersey team. Period.
Money is the driving force in a league that still has too many teams that struggle to achieve financial stability. Television is the cash cow that the league has yet to milk and another team in the #1 media market with owners of deep pockets is the smart way to go. I have written several articles over the years about the need for MLS to tap national TV revenues more deeply in order to achieve the level they aspire to and this is the best way to try and gain appreciable levels of TV rights fees increases when all of the contracts expire in 2014.
That’s it from me. Writers like Grant Wahl, Steve Davis, Drew Epperly and others have written some good pieces on the expansion. I’d advise you to peruse them if you want more opinions. And for a good laugh, read the comments or the twitter stream of #MLS for the usual moronic postings from the ignorant mob.
- Will Parchman: A statistical look at MLS Week 1
- MLSSoccer.com: MLS announces partnership with French Football Federation
- Kyle McCarthy: Buying or selling? MLS seeks the best of both worlds
- SI.com: MLS fills spring training void left by MLB teams in Tucson
- Earl Reed: The Designated Player Rule: How Is It Working?
- Steve Goff: Major League Soccer’s second generation
- Matthew Doyle: Why we often miss the point when we talk formations
- Alex Labidou: Five observations from MLS Commissioner Don Garber’s press conference
- Tropics of Meta: An MLS Moment: What the Chivas USA Controversy Tells US About the State of US Soccer
- MLSSoccer.com: How much is a consistent lineup worth?
- J Hutcherson: Major League Soccer’s mixed message
- Tony Edwards: Styles of Play
- US Soccer Players: MLS and the Transfer Window
- ESPNSoccernet: NBA’s Sixers owners in on MLS team
- Alex Labidou: Thierry Henry admits MLS is a tough sell to America’s young premier athletes
Read the rest of this entry »
- J Hutcherson: The Era of Soccer Specificity
- MLSSoccer.com: Church of Bielsa comes to MLS in 2012
- Philly Soccer Page:
The great allocation money chase
- The Bent Musket: The Tribalism of MLS
- Tony Edwards: Tony presents a little potpourri of his own
- MLSSoccer.com: How advanced stats are changing our game
- MLSSoccer.com: Can soccer analytics explain art of game?
- MLSSoccer.com: MLS stats gurus take on the salary cap
- MLSSoccer.com: How valuable is possession anyway?
- Matthew Doyle: Picking the perfect MLS All-Star squad
- Guardian: China soccer match-fixing: former football chief and top players jailed
- Independent: Euro 2012: The intelligent person’s guide to football tactics
- Will Parchman: The Fair Trade Way
- Barcelona: Barcelona announce huge expansion in US youth camps
- Shin Guardian: Toting The Old Ball ‘N’ Chain: Player Development In America
- Shin Guardian: More Conclusions In Progress: The State Of The Homegrown Program
The Business of Soccer
- Guardian: English Premier League lands £3bn TV rights bonanza from Sky and BT
- David Conn: High-fiving at bloated new Premier League TV deal would be a mistake
- David Conn: How football has kept the Murdoch empire afloat
- Copa Libertadores: Boca Juniors v Corinthians for the Title
- US Open Cup: US Open Cup – It’s all MLS into the Semis
- EURO 2012: EURO 2012 Down to the Wire
- I’m heading out on the road for a few weeks. Take Me Out to the Ballgame will get posted, but not much else until I return. Thanks to all of you that take the time to visit OLR.
- Guardian: Euro 2012: Antisemitic Echoes that Threaten Celebration of Football
- Louise Taylor: Released players face prospect of adapting to life at a lower level
- Brian Quarstad: NASL Commissioner Downs Says League Expansion is Delayed but Still on Track
- US Open Cup: 99 years of the US Open Cup
- Kenn.com: US Open Cup – Moneyball
- Truly Outside the Box Thinking: An Alternative to Shootouts: A Better Way to Resolve Draws in Knockout Competitions
The Business of Soccer
More on Match Fixing
- SI.com: Italian PM Monti wants Italian soccer halted for 2-3 years
- Soccer by Ives: Three Guatemala regulars under CCL match-fixing investigation
- CONCACAF Champions League: CCL New Format and Draw
- EURO 2012: Euro 2012 earns elite-level income and TV ratings
- MLS Players Union: 2012 MLS Salaries
- John Godfrey: M.L.S. Salaries: A Bigger Pot, but Still Half Full – A theme I wrote about when I was posting for the good folks at MLS Talk.
- Steve Stoehr: Revolution, MLS Academies And The Pitfalls Of Losing Players To Foreign Clubs
US Open Cup