- SI.com: Chivas USA sued for alleged discrimination
- J Hutcherson: MLS and the Next Rounds of Expansion
- Paul Kennedy: MLS wants all its clubs either fielding reserve teams in USL PRO or affiliating with one by 2015
- Avi Creditor: Dempsey deal calls MLS transparency into question — again
- Christian Science Monitor: Once a ‘league of stars,’ Spanish pro soccer crashes down to earth
- ESPN FC: UEFA continue FFP crackdown
- Independent: Idealists v ‘the monetisers’ – a struggle for football’s soul
- Barney Ronay: Kieron Dyer: a wasted talent and poster boy for English game’s excesses
The Business of Soccer
- Owen Gibson: Real Madrid are €590m in debt so how do they get round Uefa finance rules?
- Premiership Talk: Wenger calls FFP a joke
- US Open Cup: US Open Cup Semifinals
- UEFA Champions League: UCL prelims begin
- Europa League: Europa League Begins
- Copa Sudamericana: Copa Sudamericana underway
Unless you’ve been hiding under a rock, you know by now that Manchester City of the EPL and the New York Yankees of MLS have partnered up to be the 20th franchise in MLS.
I’m not going to link to any of the gazillion stories that have flooded the soccersphere, just do a search and you’ll find all you want to know, and more.
I will, however, give you my two cents on this announcement. It’s good. Having grown up in the New York metro area, I can say that the Red Bulls are a New Jersey team. Period.
Money is the driving force in a league that still has too many teams that struggle to achieve financial stability. Television is the cash cow that the league has yet to milk and another team in the #1 media market with owners of deep pockets is the smart way to go. I have written several articles over the years about the need for MLS to tap national TV revenues more deeply in order to achieve the level they aspire to and this is the best way to try and gain appreciable levels of TV rights fees increases when all of the contracts expire in 2014.
That’s it from me. Writers like Grant Wahl, Steve Davis, Drew Epperly and others have written some good pieces on the expansion. I’d advise you to peruse them if you want more opinions. And for a good laugh, read the comments or the twitter stream of #MLS for the usual moronic postings from the ignorant mob.
- Through 6 games Sporting KC have yet to yield a 2nd half goal
- Through 4 games New England have yet to yield a 1st half goal
- Through 6 games Dallas has conceded 7 goals, all in the 2nd half and 6 in the final 15 minutes
- Hot Time in Old Town: Scoring Goals in MLS Part 1: The “true goal scorer”
- Bill Archer: Field of Schemes
- Jason Davis: Once Again, it’s MLS in the Champions League – I’ve read a bunch of the post mortem pieces after the last two MLS teams fell out of the CCL. This one works for me.
Message from Peter
Sorry if some of these are a tad dated. Computer committed suicide and I’m just getting back up and running.
Did You Know?
After going unbeaten last season, Juventus ran its unbeaten streak to 49 before losing to Inter.
- WV Hooligan: MLS International Recap
- Noah Davis: Is MLS Making the Rest of CONCACAF Better at the Expense of the U.S. National Team?
- Reserve League: Houston Dynamo and LA win MLS Reserve League division titles
- Jonah Freedman: MLS, NASL closer to working partnership
- Expansion: Merritt Paulson Forecasts Increase in MLS Soccer Franchise Fees
- J Hutcherson: Canada’s WC exit is an MLS problem
- TheStar.com: Toronto FC’s hands tied by meddling MLS
- MLS Talk: Will MLS Benefit From NBC’s Premier League Deal?
- Devin Pleuler: Pythagorean Expectation tested in MLS
- US Soccer Players: Why isn’t MLS like Europe?
- Tony Edwards: Work Rate
- Tweed Thornton: MLS Carryover Minutes: Why Your Team May Not Have Enough
- The Best Eleven: MLS Bargain Goal Scoring Leaders
- The Scoring Third: Orlando City Stadium: Behind the Numbers
- nextSTL: LHM Seeks MSL Stadium as part of new vision for Union Station in St. Louis
- Steve Davis: MLS in Minnesota? Perhaps, but at what cost?
- Simon Borg: MLS officials discuss NYC expansion plans, eye on 2016
- Nick Green: Chivas USA appears to be turning its herd away
- Frank Dell’Apa: The United States now exports strikers, not goalkeepers
- ESPN FC: Role of the new No. 10 in the Premier League
- David James: Life outside of the Premier League bubble is a bit of a culture shock
- Frank Dell’Apa: Battle for soccer’s place in America is humming along nicely
- Jason Davis: Soccer Is America’s Sport of Now
- Independent: The Last Word: Blame is the game and everyone is primed to kick it into touch
- SoccerLens: FIFA Laws of the Game: Ambiguity, Uncertainty & Room For Interpretation
- Grant Wahl: Inside Barcelona: Success beyond trophies for club president Rosell
- SoccerLens: Soccer For Cartoons: How The Beautiful Game Was Made For Saturday Morning
- UEFA Champions League: UCL Group Stage Day 2 Update
- Europa League: Europa League Update
- AFC Champions League: Asian CL group phase update
- Copa Sudamericana: Copa Sudamericana
- Shin Guardian: Decoding the MLS Playoff Push & That Tiebreaker Thing
- Expansion: In Minneapolis, soccer fans want say on Vikings stadium
- David Ignatius: Afghanistan: Goals or Bullets?
- Grant Wahl: The rise of Mexican soccer is a positive for the United States
- Martin Rogers: Mexico’s master plan produces soccer gold
- Guardian: The Secret Footballer: undercover in the Premier League
- Dave Laidig: Measuring 2011/12 EPL Player Performance
- Zach Slaton: E Pluribus Sounders (Part 1): Immigrant & NASL Roots
- Video: Soccer and the Mechanics of Sport on T.V. – An interesting piece on how sports are presented on TV and what’s missing in soccer.
- Nutmeg Radio: Win, Praise, Ignore, Repeat: The US Womens Soccer Teams Unhealthy Relationship with Society
- Dirty Tackle: A Russian drug smuggler still imprisoned in Chile is playing professional football
The Business of Soccer
- Soccer Politics: What is Soccer’s Business?
- Guardian: Liverpool’s John W Henry casts doubt on financial fair play’s chances
- Goal.com: What is Financial Fair Play and how will Uefa enforce it on Chelsea & Manchester City?
- Kyle McCarthy: Focus shifts to players as MLS embarks upon 2012 campaign
- US Soccer Players: MLS Miami
- Preseason in the Future: Disney, sports boosters seek $1M in incentives for soccer teams
- Matthew Doyle: Mining for the perfect midfield diamond
- Goal.com: The top 10 newcomers to watch in Major League Soccer in 2012
- Bobby McMahon: MLS – A Shrink To Success Formula
- Jason Davis: MLS Season 17: What We Think We Know
- Climbing the Ladder: The role of US players in MLS(minutes played) and other cool stats
Read the rest of this entry »