- Shin Guardian: Decoding the MLS Playoff Push & That Tiebreaker Thing
- Expansion: In Minneapolis, soccer fans want say on Vikings stadium
- David Ignatius: Afghanistan: Goals or Bullets?
- Grant Wahl: The rise of Mexican soccer is a positive for the United States
- Martin Rogers: Mexico’s master plan produces soccer gold
- Guardian: The Secret Footballer: undercover in the Premier League
- Dave Laidig: Measuring 2011/12 EPL Player Performance
- Zach Slaton: E Pluribus Sounders (Part 1): Immigrant & NASL Roots
- Video: Soccer and the Mechanics of Sport on T.V. – An interesting piece on how sports are presented on TV and what’s missing in soccer.
- Nutmeg Radio: Win, Praise, Ignore, Repeat: The US Womens Soccer Teams Unhealthy Relationship with Society
- Dirty Tackle: A Russian drug smuggler still imprisoned in Chile is playing professional football
The Business of Soccer
- Soccer Politics: What is Soccer’s Business?
- Guardian: Liverpool’s John W Henry casts doubt on financial fair play’s chances
- Goal.com: What is Financial Fair Play and how will Uefa enforce it on Chelsea & Manchester City?
- Kyle McCarthy: Focus shifts to players as MLS embarks upon 2012 campaign
- US Soccer Players: MLS Miami
- Preseason in the Future: Disney, sports boosters seek $1M in incentives for soccer teams
- Matthew Doyle: Mining for the perfect midfield diamond
- Goal.com: The top 10 newcomers to watch in Major League Soccer in 2012
- Bobby McMahon: MLS – A Shrink To Success Formula
- Jason Davis: MLS Season 17: What We Think We Know
- Climbing the Ladder: The role of US players in MLS(minutes played) and other cool stats
Read the rest of this entry »
- Jeremiah Oshan: MLS And Youth Development, Part 1 – MLS And Youth Development, Part 2
- Kyle McCarthy: Extended Development Academy season prompts concerns about its participants
- Brian Quarstad: Integrating MLS Reserve League into America’s Lower Divisions – Part 1
- Soccer By The Numbers: How Efficient Are Player Salaries in Major League Soccer? Data From 2011
- Brotherly Game: The Expansion Draft: A Broken System?
- Brian Quarstad: MLS Preseason Destination Grande Sports World; 3 Years Ago it Was a Desert
Read the rest of this entry »
- Seth Vertelney: 2012 New Year’s resolutions for each of the 19 MLS teams
- Rafa Benitez Blog: Rafa Benitez analyses the top 5 European leagues and the MLS
- J Hutcherson: 2012: MLS Version
- The Daily Wiz: Expansion Part 1 – Expansion Part 2 – Expansion Part 3
- SI.com: Standard Liege’s Bruyninckx leads way in developing mental capacity – via Stumptown Footy
- US Soccer Players: UEFA’s Economy – via Stumptown Footy
- Richard Farley via EPL Talk: Detailing The Pyramid, Looking at the Current Role of Tactical Analysis in Football Coverage – via Stumptown Footy
- Guardian: January transfer spending set to be curbed by FFP and financial reality
- Unprofessional Foul: Real Americans Roundtable
- Corruption: Money Laundering, Premier League football, Operation Apprentice, and a little more on Portsmouth FC (again) – Part 1 – Part 2
The playoff numbers look like this…
|5 year comparison|
|Quarterfinals Totals(both legs)|
|2007||17,041||CHI, CHV, DAL, DCU, HOU, KC, NE, RBNY|
|2008||14,960||-12.22%||CHI, CHV, CLB, HOU, KC, NE, RBNY, RSL|
|2009||20,755||38.74%||CHI, CHV, CLB, HOU, LA, NE, RSL, SEA|
|2010||18,551||-10.62%||CLB, COL, DAL, LA, RBNY, RSL, SJ, SEA|
|2011||20,776||11.99%||COL, HOU, LA, PHL, RBNY, RSL, SEA, SKC|
|2007||20,645||-3.21%||NE v CHI – HOU v KC|
|2008||17,348||-15.97%||CLB v CHI – RSL v RBNY|
|2009||23,548||35.74%||LA v HOU – CHI v RSL|
|2010||22,390||-4.92%||COL v SJ – LA v FCD|
|2011||22,138||-1.12%||COL v SJ – LA v FCD|
|2007||39,859||NE v HOU||RFK Stadium, Wash DC|
|2008||27,000||-32.26%||RBNY v CLB||Home Depot Center, LA, CA|
|2009||46,011||70.41%||RSL v LA||Qwest Field, Seattle, WA|
|2010||21,700||-52.84%||COL v FCD||BMO Field, Toronto, ONT, CA|
|2011||30,281||39.54%||HOU v LA||Home Depot Center, LA, CA|
- Expansion: Rochester Rhinos no longer on MLS radar
- MLS_UK: Diary of an MLS Convert(East) – Diary of an MLS Convert(West) – Week 14 of Glenn Williams’ brilliant series.
- Copa Libertadores: Santos and Penarol play out scoreless draw in 1st leg of final
- US Open Cup: US Open Cup 1st round recap
- World Cup ’14: Belize kicks off World Cup qualifying with victory
- Jamie Trecker: Who has the courage to save CONCACAF?
- In The Stands: The Disillusioned Football Blogger, a series… Part 1 – Part 2 – Part 3 – Part 4 – Part 5 – Part 6
- MLS_UK: Diary of an MLS Convert(East) – Diary of an MLS Convert(West) – Week 9 of Glenn Williams’ brilliant series.
- Zac Lee Rigg: No history, no problem – Real Salt Lake fans have grown along with the team
- Stats: MLS Castro Index
- Portland: How cool is this Timbers Propaganda?
- Johan Freedman: Why can’t teams beat Jet Lag Effect?
- Inside Minnesota Soccer: Major League Soccer to Minnesota? Probably, and Here’s Why
- When Saturday Comes: The Life Lessons of Relegation – via Must Read Soccer
- FIFA.com: Inter’s Zanetti reaches remarkable milestone
- Guardian: How Valeriy Lobanovskyi’s appliance of science won hearts and trophies
- Harry Harris: English football ‘set back ten years’
The Business of Soccer
- Bill Wilson-BBC: FIFA contests free-to-air World Cup TV broadcasts in UK