Some older story links, as I’ve been out of circulation for about 10 days.
- Jason Davis: The Murky MLS Acquisition Rules
- Ridge Mahoney: Is salary space an issue for Galaxy? Who knows?
- Kyle McCarthy: Generation adidas players bring short-term benefits and long-term budget concerns
- Kyle McCarthy: Marked philosophical shift creates additional options for the SuperDraft class of 2009
- The Guardian: Is this a brave new dawn for Major League Soccer?
- Kenn Tomasch: A Brief History Of Promotion And Relegation In American Soccer
- goalWA.net: US Youth Soccer debuts Player Development Model
- David Hills: Said and Done(Feb 4)
- David Hills: Said and Done(Jan 28)
- J Hutcherson: FIFA’s Rules Of The Game
- J Hutcherson: Fox Tries Again
Guests in town, so don’t expect any posts for the next 9 days.
- The Guardian: Tim Ream and the MLS to EPL journey
- Hot Time in Old Town: How the Fire’s New Sponsor Deal Compares to Other MLS Clubs
- Brian Lewis: Red Bulls explore residence academy
- David Conn: Uefa’s fair play rules will help clubs rein in spending
- J Hutcherson: UEFA And The Fairness Of Transfer Fees
- US Soccer Players: What American Soccer Fans Should Be Watching
- SI.com: Relegation is part of K-League overhaul
- Jamie Trecker: Relegation: Antiquated, expiring ritual – Jamie makes the case that Pro/Reg has outlived its time.
- Ridge Mahoney: Klinsmann’s Candidates: a large but limited player pool to pick from
- AFA: Argentine FA abandons league reform
- J Hutcherson: For Europe, It’s Clubs vs UEFA
- WC14: The FIFA World Cup sight – Check out the preliminary draw for WC14 qualifying
- WC14: Asia 3rd round WC qualifying
- U20 World Cup: Colombia first through to knockout stage
- U20 World Cup: Australia go down to Costa Rica
- UCL: Panathinaikos knocked out of UEFA Champions League qualifiers
- Copa Sudamericana: Universidad Catolica earn point
- Copa Sudamericana: Olimpia overpower The Strongest
- Copa Sudamericana: Liga de Quito earn point
- Sporting KC: Sporting KC Using Soccer To Create Social Change
Around the World
- CONCACAF: A Roundup of Central American Action
- USMNT U20: The Aftermath: US U-20 World Cup Failure – from MatchFit USA
- Andrea Canales: The Copa America Conundrum
- RSL-AZ at Dallas Cup: Real Salt Lake-Arizona wants to surprise the world at Dallas Cup – I live in AZ, so you get this story.
The Business of Soccer
- Arsenal: Stan Kroenke takes Controlling Stake in Arsenal with 62.89% of Shares
- David Conn: Stan Kroenke is a Custodian of Arsenal with a Different View of Values
- David Hills: Said and Done
- Guardian: Respect? I remember that time at Old Trafford …
- Simon Turnbull: How the once beautiful game can get rid of its snarling face
- Ken Berger: Cuban’s Proposed Media ‘takeover’ Wrong on Many Levels – not directly soccer related, unless you read between the lines
- Neil W. Blackmon: Relegation: An Appreciation, For All The American Fans Who’ve Felt It’s Ugly Relative, Resignation
- Impact of US 30 man squad on MLS teams.
- Hispanic Millenials: The future of MLS.
- Pro/Reg: The subject has been beaten to death, but this piece at least has a fresh take. Feel free to disagree.
- DC United getting better, but is it too late.
- In the aftermath of Inter Milan’s victory over Barcelona, the question arises, How important is possession?
- Sanford’s Soccer Net: Just a bunch of good stuff.
- Peter Wilt: Are we there yet? (soccer in the US)
- Soccer journalism in the US. And Fake Sigi did a fine follow up.
- Paul Scholes: Not in South Africa, in Orlando, Florida.
Around the World
The Business of Soccer
- Team profile: Ivory Coast.
- Team profile: New Zealand.
- The Guardian’s World Cup section. Tons of news. A good link to bookmark for WC2010.
- Goal.com: The 23 man reject squad.
- A conversation with David Downs of GoUSABid.
- US Open Cup – Competition structure finalized – RBNY over New England.
- CAF Champions League(Africa) – Top clubs move through.
- AFC Champions League(Asia) – 4 teams take their place in quarterfinals.
- UEFA Champions League(Europe) – final May 22, Bayern Munich v Inter Milan
- CONCACAF Champions League(North America) – 2010 Champs – Pachuca
- Copa Libertadores(South America) – U de Chile, Sao Paolo win 1st leg quarterfinal matches.
- Europa League(Europe) – Atlético Madrid defeats Fulham to win Europa League title.
- Nutralite Canadian Championship – Toronto win eliminates Montreal.