Notice: I’m in the midst of a huge geographical relocation. As such, I do not expect ‘Take Me Out to the Ballgame’ to post for Weeks 26 and 27. Look for us to be back for the final weeks of the MLS season and the playoffs.
The Week 25 numbers look like this…
|5 year comparison|
|Week 25||228 GP||YTD|
|2009 225 Game Season – 2010 240 Game Season
2011 306 Game Season – 2012-13 323 Game Season
|YTD – 228 Games|
Here are the home attendance comparisons to 2012:
|MLS Attendance – Equal # of Home Games|
|Att||Cap||Att||Att +/-||GP||% of Cap||Cap|
My disclaimer about the capacity calculations
For my 2012 calculations, I took the 2 teams playing in football stadiums, DCU in RFK and New England in Foxboro and assigned maximum capacities as follows, DCU-22,500 and New England-22,500. I took the 22,500 from an approximate average of the soccer specific stadiums in use. Capacities are adjusted for the few games that are played in larger venues.
Additional note: Over the years, several stadiums’ capacities have been reported with different numbers. For example, I used 20,455 for Columbus in 2012. If any of you have the accurate soccer capacity for stadiums that differ from mine, please let me know. Also, capacity at CenturyLink in Seattle is a moving target.
Montréal was over capacity. New England drew 14,600+. Columbus reported 16,300+. Red Bull Arena sold out. Houston sold out for Clint Dempsey’s MLS return. Colorado drew just over 16,000. LA had 24,200+. Portland continued its sellout streak, as did San Jose.
- 52 of the 228 regular season matches have been won by the visiting team.
- Best goals per game? Salt Lake.
- Best goals against per game? Portland.
- San Jose is the only team not to have kept a clean sheet on the road.
- Lowest goals per shot percentage? DC United.
Newcomer Goal Scoring Watch: Conor Doyle scored for DC United. Deshorn Brown scored for Colorado. Mauro Diaz scored for Dallas. Feel free to add your newcomer observations in the comment section.
The Competition on the Field
- This week’s matches, home team listed first with all time home record(W-D-L) v opponent(including this week’s games)
- Conference Standings
|Week 25 Games|
|Montréal||2||Mount Royal Soccer||20,801||2-0-0|
|DC United||1||Black and Red United|
|New England||2||Bent Musket||14,630||12-3-8|
|Chicago||0||Hot Time in Old Town|
|Toronto||0||Waking the Red|
|RBNY||0||Red Bulls Reader||25,355||4-1-0|
|Philadelphia||0||Brotherly Game – Scott Kessler|
|For my money, Houston retains the franchise history from its time in San Jose.|
|Seattle||1||Sounder at Heart|
|Los Angeles||4||LA Official Website||24,237||6-2-5|
|Real Salt Lake||2||RSL Soapbox|
|FC Dallas||1||3rd Degree|
|San Jose||1||Center Line Soccer||10,525||4-1-0|
|Sporting KC||0||Daily Wiz|
Top 5 conference finishers qualify for MLS Cup Playoffs.
Tiebreakers: 1-Wins, 2-Goals Scored(Full Season), 3-Goal Differential(Full Season)
4-Fair Play, 5-Road Goals(Full Season), 6-Road Goal Differential(Full Season), 7-Home Goals(Full Season)
8-Home Goal Differential(Full Season), 9-Coin Toss (2 teams) or Drawing of Lots (3 or more)
|Pts – Last 5 Matches|
- Chivas USA are winless in 10 regular season road matches.
- Colorado are undefeated in 9 regular season matches.
- Colorado are undefeated in 6 regular season home matches.
- Columbus are winless in 6 regular season road matches.
- Dallas are winless in 11 regular season matches.
- Dallas are winless in 10 regular season road matches.
- DC United are winless in 12 regular season road matches.
- Los Angeles are undefeated in 6 regular season home matches.
- Portland are unbeaten in 9 regular season home matches.
- San Jose are undefeated in 12 regular season home matches.
- Seattle are undefeated in 9 regular season home matches.
MLS Throw Ins
- There have been 59 draws thru 228 matches.
- There have been 127 clean sheets thru 228 matches, counting scoreless draws as 2.
- Through 228 games: goal scoring is down 1.7% from 2012, 2.57 vs 2.61.
- DC United defeated Chicago
- Real Salt Lake defeated Portland
Real Salt Lake will host the final on October 1.
MLS clubs Los Angeles(MLS Cup winner), Houston(MLS Cup finalist), Sporting KC(Lamar Hunt US Open Cup winner) and the San Jose(Supporters’ Shield winner), along with Montréal(winner of the Canadien Cup) are participating in the 2013-14 tourney
Group Play with MLS Teams
- Aug 7 — Montréal (CAN) 1-0 San Jose (USA)
- Aug 7 — Real Esteli (NIC) 0-2 Sporting KC (USA)