The Week 31 numbers look like this…
|5 year comparison|
|Week 31||287 GP||YTD|
|2009 225 Game Season – 2010 240 Game Season
2011 306 Game Season – 2012-13 323 Game Season
|YTD – 287 Games|
Here are the home attendance comparisons to 2012:
|MLS Attendance – Equal # of Home Games|
|Att||Cap||Att||Att +/-||GP||% of Cap||Cap|
My disclaimer about the capacity calculations
For my 2012 calculations, I took the 2 teams playing in football stadiums, DCU in RFK and New England in Foxboro and assigned maximum capacities as follows, DCU-22,500 and New England-22,500. I took the 22,500 from an approximate average of the soccer specific stadiums in use. Capacities are adjusted for the few games that are played in larger venues.
Additional note: Over the years, several stadiums’ capacities have been reported with different numbers. For example, I used 20,455 for Columbus in 2012. If any of you have the accurate soccer capacity for stadiums that differ from mine, please let me know. Also, capacity at CenturyLink in Seattle is a moving target.
Kansas City saw 19,200+. Toronto had 15,800+. Vancouver sold out. New England had its biggest crowd of the year, just under 21,300. Chicago had 18,100+. Portland sold out. Dallas had just 11,400+. Seattle saw 39,000+. Chivas USA’s miseries continue with only 7,751.
- 67 of the 287 regular season matches have been won by the visiting team.
- Best goals per game? Salt Lake.
- Best goals against per game? Sporting KC.
- San Jose is the only team not to have kept a clean sheet on the road.
- Toronto has the fewest shots on goal.
- DC United has the lowest ratio of goals to shots(5.78%).
- Sporting KC has the best aggregate ranking of Goal Scored(6th) per game and Goals Allowed(1st) per game. Portland is right behind(5th and 4th).
Newcomer Goal Scoring Watch: Jared Jeffrey scored for DC United. Alvaro Rey and Darel Russell scored for Toronto. Maxim Tissot tallied for Montréal. Max Urruti scored for Portland. Feel free to add your newcomer observations in the comment section.
The Competition on the Field
- This week’s matches, home team listed first with all time home record(W-D-L) v opponent(including this week’s games)
- Conference Standings
|Week 31 Games|
|Sporting KC||0||Daily Wiz||19,243||2-1-1|
|Philadelphia||1||Brotherly Game – Scott Kessler|
|Toronto||4||Waking the Red||15,879||3-0-6|
|DC United||1||Black and Red United|
|Real Salt Lake||1||RSL Soapbox|
|New England||1||Bent Musket||21,297||6-6-11|
|Chicago||2||Hot Time in Old Town||18,173||2-1-0|
|Montréal||2||Mount Royal Soccer|
|Los Angeles||0||LA Official Website|
|FC Dallas||2||3rd Degree||11,422||12-2-6|
|Seattle||1||Sounder at Heart||39,083||2-1-1|
|RBNY||1||Red Bulls Reader|
|Chivas USA||0||Chivas USA||7,751||3-3-2|
|San Jose||1||Center Line Soccer|
Top 5 conference finishers qualify for MLS Cup Playoffs.
Tiebreakers: 1-Wins, 2-Goals Scored(Full Season), 3-Goal Differential(Full Season)
4-Fair Play, 5-Road Goals(Full Season), 6-Road Goal Differential(Full Season), 7-Home Goals(Full Season)
8-Home Goal Differential(Full Season), 9-Coin Toss (2 teams) or Drawing of Lots (3 or more)
|Pts – Last 5 Matches|
- Chicago are unbeaten in 6 regular season home matches.
- Chivas USA are winless in 13 regular season road matches.
- Colorado are undefeated in 7 regular season home matches.
- DC United are winless in 17 regular season road matches.
- DC United are winless in 8 regular season matches.
- Portland are unbeaten in 13 regular season home matches.
- Portland are winless in 8 regular season road matches.
- RBNY are undefeated in 7 regular season home matches.
- San Jose are undefeated in 14 regular season home matches.
- Seattle are undefeated in 13 regular season home matches.
- Seattle are undefeated in 7 regular season matches.
MLS Throw Ins
- There have been 74 draws thru 287 matches.
- There have been 156 clean sheets thru 287 matches, counting scoreless draws as 2.
- Through 287 games: goal scoring is down 2.1% from 2012, 2.62 vs 2.67.
- DC United defeated Chicago
- Real Salt Lake defeated Portland
Real Salt Lake will host the final on October 1.
MLS clubs Los Angeles(MLS Cup winner), Houston(MLS Cup finalist), Sporting KC(Lamar Hunt US Open Cup winner) and the San Jose(Supporters’ Shield winner), along with Montréal(winner of the Canadien Cup) are participating in the 2013-14 tourney
Group Play with MLS Teams
- Sep 24 — Montréal (CAN) 2-0 Heredia (CRC)
- Sep 25 — Houston (USA) 2-0 W Connection (T&T)
- Sep 25 — Cartaginés (CRC) 0-3 Los Angeles (USA)
- Oct 23 — Sporting KC (USA) vs Olimpia (HON)
- Oct 23 — San Jose (USA) vs Heredia (CRC)
- Oct 24 — Arabe Unido (PAN) vs Houston (USA)
- Oct 24 — Metapan (SLV) vs Los Angeles (USA)