I’ll have some end of year observations coming out later this week, meanwhile …
The Week 35 and final regular season numbers look like this…
|5 year comparison|
|2009 225 Game Season – 2010 240 Game Season
2011 306 Game Season – 2012-13 323 Game Season
|YTD – 323 Games|
Here are the home attendance comparisons to 2012:
|MLS Attendance – Equal # of Home Games|
|Att||Cap||Att||Att +/-||GP||% of Cap||Cap|
My disclaimer about the capacity calculations
For my 2012 calculations, I took the 2 teams playing in football stadiums, DCU in RFK and New England in Foxboro and assigned maximum capacities as follows, DCU-22,500 and New England-22,500. I took the 22,500 from an approximate average of the soccer specific stadiums in use. Capacities are adjusted for the few games that are played in larger venues.
Additional note: Over the years, several stadiums’ capacities have been reported with different numbers. For example, I used 20,455 for Columbus in 2012. If any of you have the accurate soccer capacity for stadiums that differ from mine, please let me know. Also, capacity at CenturyLink in Seattle is a moving target.
Salt Lake drew a strong 20,400+ midweek. Philadelphia was just under capacity. Toronto had a light 13,200+. San Jose sold out. Chivas USA drew over 10,000 for the 2nd time this season. DC United drew 13,700+. Columbus finished with a turnout of 17,500+. A sellout saw the Red Bulls capture their first trophy in franchise history. Vancouver sold out. Seattle drew over 66,200.
- 77 of the 323 regular season matches have been won by the visiting team.
- Best goals per game? Red Bulls.
- Best goals against per game? Sporting KC.
- Toronto has the fewest shots on goal.
- DC United has the lowest ratio of goals to shots(5.50%).
- DC United finished the season winless on the road.
- Portland finished with the best aggregate ranking of Goal Scored per game(3rd) and Goals Allowed per game(2nd).
Newcomer Goal Scorers: Julio Morales scored for Chivas USA. Robert Earnshaw tallied for Toronto. Walter Martinez scored for San Jose. Diego Valeri scored a brace for Portland. Kyle Porter tallied for DC United. Ibrahim Sekagya scored for the Red Bulls. Feel free to add your newcomer observations in the comment section.
The Competition on the Field
- This week’s matches, home team listed first with all time home record(W-D-L) v opponent(including this week’s games)
- Conference Standings
|Week 35 Games|
|Real Salt Lake||2||RSL Soapbox||20,447||6-3-3|
|Chivas USA||1||Chivas USA|
|Philadelphia||1||Brotherly Game – Scott Kessler||18,462||1-2-2|
|Sporting KC||2||Daily Wiz|
|Toronto||1||Waking the Red||13,211||1-2-0|
|Montréal||0||Mount Royal Soccer|
|San Jose||2||Center Line Soccer||10,525||3-3-1|
|FC Dallas||1||3rd Degree|
|Chivas USA||0||Chivas USA||11,024||2-1-1|
|DC United||1||Black and Red United||13,731||11-1-9|
|New England||1||Bent Musket|
|RBNY||5||Red Bulls Reader||25,219||10-3-10|
|Chicago||2||Hot Time in Old Town|
|Seattle||1||Sounder at Heart||66,216||2-2-2|
|Los Angeles||1||LA Official Website|
Top 5 conference finishers qualify for MLS Cup Playoffs.
Tiebreakers: 1-Wins, 2-Goals Scored(Full Season), 3-Goal Differential(Full Season)
4-Fair Play, 5-Road Goals(Full Season), 6-Road Goal Differential(Full Season), 7-Home Goals(Full Season)
8-Home Goal Differential(Full Season), 9-Coin Toss (2 teams) or Drawing of Lots (3 or more)
|Pts – Last 5 Matches|
- Chicago are unbeaten in 7 regular season home matches.
- Chivas USA are winless in 15 regular season road matches.
- Chivas USA are winless in 6 regular season matches.
- Colorado are undefeated in 9 regular season home matches.
- DC United are winless in 18 regular season road matches.
- DC United are winless in 12 regular season matches.
- New England are undefeated in 6 regular season matches.
- Portland are unbeaten in 15 regular season home matches.
- Portland are unbeaten in 8 regular season matches.
- RBNY are undefeated in 8 regular season matches.
- RBNY are undefeated in 9 regular season home matches.
- San Jose are undefeated in 16 regular season home matches.
- San Jose are undefeated in 7 regular season matches.
- Seattle are winless in 7 regular season matches.
- Toronto are winless in 6 regular season road matches.
MLS Throw Ins
- There were 82 draws in the 323 matches.
- There were 179 clean sheets this season 323 matches, counting the 19 scoreless draws as 2.
- For 2013: goal scoring was down 0.8% from 2012, 2.62 vs 2.64 per game.
MLS clubs Los Angeles(MLS Cup winner) Sporting KC(Lamar Hunt US Open Cup winner) and the San Jose(Supporters’ Shield winner)advance to the quarterfinals in the 2013-14 tourney. The Red Bulls(Supporters’ Shield winner) and DC United(Lamar Hunt US Open Cup winner) will participate in the 2014-15 tourney.
Group Play with MLS Teams
- Oct 23 — Sporting KC (USA) 0-0 Olimpia (HON)
- Oct 23 — San Jose (USA) 1-0 Heredia (CRC)
- Oct 24 — Arabe Unido (PAN) 1-0 Houston (USA)
- Oct 24 — Metapan (SLV) 4-0 Los Angeles (USA)
When play resumes, the quarterfinals will see Los Angeles (USA) play Tijuana (MEX), Alajuelense (CRC) play Arabe Unido (PAN), Sporting KC (USA) play Cruz Azul (MEX) and Toluca (MEX) play San Jose (USA) in home and home series.